According to an article on the Big Country Homepage, the Nation Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) released a report stating that lower average gas prices have led to more people being on the road. This increased number of drivers has led to the highest increase of car accidents on U.S. roads since 2008. The NHTSA also reports that 94% of the car crashes were caused by driver error while the remaining 6% is due to road conditions and mechanical malfunction. Another notable increase came to the 15 to 20 year age bracket; this age group experienced a 10% increase in fatal car accidents.
Driver Error and the Aftermath
Accidents, by definition, are unexpected and unintentional and typically end in damages to either person, property, or both. Most likely, when a car accident happens, the police are called in to investigate and they will issue citations to people who broke a law. Just because the police arrive and write a report and some traffic tickets, doesn’t mean that an insurance company has to assign fault a certain way. Ultimately, the insurance adjusters will determine who was responsible for causing the accident and how much they will pay out in a settlement. This means that you may have to put up a fight to get compensation for your losses if a company wants to play hardball.
Make no mistake, insurance companies are businesses that want to make a profit so they don’t like to just throw money around. They have teams of lawyers that work on their side to help keep the financial bottom line as healthy as possible. What this means for the average person is that they may receive unfair settlement offers, get the runaround, or have their claim flat-out denied. After a car wreck, medical bills and other expenditures can pile up as you try to make a full recovery. For this reason, you may want to consider the services of an experienced auto accident attorney.
Jeff Galbreath – Automotive Accident Attorney
The Galbreath Law Firm represents and helps injured Texans. We can focus on building your case and taking the fight to the insurance companies so you can rest easier and recover quicker. After a crash, time is very important and it is in your best interest to contact us quickly. We offer a free initial consultation so that you have a risk-free opportunity to tell us the details pertaining to your accident and injuries. Our office works on a contingency fee basis so we don’t get paid unless we win the case and bring you a check. Contact us if you have been injured in a motorcycle, automotive, or commercial vehicle accident.